Since 2010, Movement Exchange has been organizing international dance exchanges to Panama during which dancers from across the United States discover the world through movement. During this exchange, you can look forward to:
- teaching at orphanages and youth foundations
- learning local dance forms such as salsa and folkloric
- visiting beautiful beaches and historic sites
- exchanging culture through movement
*A non-refundable deposit of $500 is due three motions before your international dance exchange. The remaining amount of your program donation is due one month before your exchange.
To join the open exchange this June 25th-July 2nd, 2017
- Submit your application and $500 deposit by March 25th, 2017.
- Purchase your airfare to Tocumen International Airport (airport code PTY) by April 25th, 2017.
- Submit the rest of your program donation by May 25th, 2017.
To plan a group exchange, Movement Exchange requires a 10-participant minimum and preferred dates must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or your Chapter Mentor (if applicable) no fewer than three months before your tentative departure.
Download our Panama Handbook for more information including a sample itinerary, packing list, arrival, accommodations, Spanish basics, and how to prepare.
PROGRAM DONATION INCLUDES:
- Eight days and seven nights lodging at hostel (shared rooms)
- Transportation to and from the airport in Panama City (PTY)
- Daily transportation between youth foundations, orphanages, and activities
- 24/7 guides and translators
- Classes with local dance professionals
- Discussions on Panamanian culture
- Breakfasts, most lunches, and dinners (Some dinners will be on your own...time to explore!)
- Excursions to the beach, Panama Canal, and/or other tourist sites
- Pre-program preparation
PROGRAM DONATION DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Airfare to and from Panama City (PTY)
- Personal expenses
- International travel/health insurance
Panama City Exchange (March - November)
Please see the Panama Handbook for a sample itinerary for the community exchanges that occur from December-February.
Welcome to Panama City! Today we will get acquainted with our new surroundings and explore Casco Viejo, the historic district in Panama City. We’ll take this first evening to relax and get ready for our week full of dancing.
Your first full day in Panama begins with a visit to Portobelo in the province of Colon. We’ll then have a typical Panamanian meal of rice and beans and teach our first classes at the Aldea SOS Orphanage in Colon. We’ll return back to the city for our group dinner and reflections.
Today, we will teach a group of dance majors at the University of Panama and spend the afternoon teaching over 50 kids at Malambo Orphanage in the town of Arraijan. Dinner will be on your own tonight! Take this opportunity to explore the many restaurants and exciting nightlife in Panama City.
We will start the day off with a hike up Cerro Ancon for a breathtaking view of Panama City and then it’s off to our second day teaching or take class at the University of Panama. Following our lunch of rice and beans, we’ll be teaching at Aldea SOS Orphanage in Panama City. We’ll then return to Casco for our reflections and dinner on your own.
Our morning begins with a dance class in one of the following techniques: flying low modern, aerial dance, indigenous dance forms, or Afro-Panamanian dance. We’ll then visit one of the engineering marvels, the Panama Canal. Today will be our last day teaching at Malambo Orphanage so say your last goodbyes before heading back to Casco Viejo.
We’ll start of the morning with another dance class, but this time with a world-class salsa champion. After lunch, we’ll head to Aldea SOS Orphanage in Panama City for our last day of teaching. We’ll spend the late afternoon visiting the Biodiversity Museum to learn about the global significance of the isthmus of Panama.
After a week of teaching and dancing, we’ll spend the day relaxing at a beach. We’ll celebrate our week with a night out salsa dancing Panamanian style!
Our final group breakfast precedes a morning stroll for last minute souvenir shopping. We’ll say our last goodbyes and head to the airport. Panama thanks you for your passion and energy!
*All itineraries are subject to change.